Things To Consider
Questions to Ask Yourself - thinking about adoption is the beginning of the process. Below is a list of questions to help prepare yourself:
- Do I want to adopt a boy or girl?
- What age of child am I looking for?
- Am I interested in adopting a sibling group?
- Would I consider adopting a sibling group in order to get the age of child I am interested in?
- Would I be willing to have on-going contact and open communication with a child's birth parents?
- Could I parent a child who may have been sexually abused, physically abused and/or neglected?
- Could I parent a child that has an on-going medical issue, may be developmentally delayed, or diagnosed with a developmental disability?
- Could I parent a child who may have been exposed to drugs and alcohol in utero?
- Does the ethnicity of the child I adopt matter?
- If I did adopt a child of a different ethnicity than myself how would my family feel?
- How does my extended family feel about adoption?
- How am I going to handle adoption-related questions that my child may ask?